Wednesday, October 22, 2008

This is a picture of Carter, two days old. It was just too cute not to use. But lots of people have been asking questions about Carter and what he has, because I have been so bad at keeping in touch with everyone and keeping people updated. So I thought I would write a little bit about him and what has been going on since he was born.

Carter was born May 6, 2008 in Idaho. We moved back to Mesa, AZ three weeks later. On June 30th Carter stopped breathing while my Mom and I were shopping at Wal-Mart. An employee did CPR until the paramedics arrived. He was admitted to the Pediatric ICU for a week, where he was diagnosed with Gastro Esophical Reflux Disorder, Tracheal Malasia, Laryngal Malasia, and a narrowing in his airway to his right lung. Sounds like a lot of big words. But in short what happens is he reflux when he eats and he has a floppy airway so the food gets into his lungs and closes off. This makes him pass out and stop breathing.

We have all been trained in infant CPR now and are as prepared as possible to help him. Since he has been home we have had several reflux seizure episodes, but we have been able to keep him breathing each time. We are preparing ourselves for the winter season because if he gets RSV or pneumonia it will be very difficult for his airway to stay strong. Anyways, I hope that was a helpful update. We are so grateful for all the help we have had from friends and family. Overall, Carter is doing really well for his condition and we count our blessings everyday!

6 comments:

Jonathan and Sarah said...

That is a very cute pic! Thanks for sharing that information. I'm sorry that you have to worry about that, but I'm glad that you are prepared. Will he have this all of his life or is there any way to cure it?

Camille Elise said...

Oh my goodness! I don't know how you guys do it! What amazing parents you guys must be! He is a cutie! Um, about Kim...she is living at Stapley and McKellips. Her email is kimberlee106@hotmail.com if you didn't know. Her cell is 518-3711. I hope she doesn't get mad at me for putting her cell number on the web. Perhaps you could delete this message when you get it so no weirdos call her. :)

lindsay said...

audrey i am so glad to know you have a blog and we can keep in touch! i so love looking at the pictures of your sweet baby, he really is a special little one. hope you are all doing well! love you so much!
lindsay

Brewer Family said...

Audrey Thanks for the email about your blog. I don't use that old account much either so I don't check it often. I didn't know you guys lived in Mesa thats awesome! I am sorry to hear about your little one, he is going to have a tough few months during the winter. I know he is blessed to have you guys as his parents. He is so cute! Isabella my daughter was born June 6th so they are just a month a part, isn't it fun being a parent!

Kacey said...

hey! cute pics! we're glad carter is doing better! he is such a cute little boy!

Cassandra Laine said...

Audi and Brad!!! and little Carter!! WOW--You have every right to not be "up to date" on corresponding with people! I know we texted a few times about baby boy but wow. You are incredible, I'm so glad your mom was with you at the store, what a blessing to be near family during scary times! Geez this little guy must be important, with a grand arrival and close calls he is obviously in store for something great. I hope that came across in the right way. Truly he is beautiful and going to do great things. I love you guys so much and I will keep little Carter in my prayers!

By the way....we had our baby girl, Brooklyn! She was born on Nov. 19th, 7lbs 10 oz, and like Carter, she was LATE! ugh. but she's here and we love her so much! Thank you for your updates and just being Audi! ;) Love u guys!

Full of Smiles!

Full of Smiles!

The Jumper!

The Jumper!

So Curious

So Curious

Just Chillin

Just Chillin

All Dressed Up With No Where to Go

All Dressed Up With No Where to Go